20160416

A taste of Book 2 in the Dear Roz series

Chapter 8 - The Offices of the Daily News – Yes or No?

Maxine found Betty in one of the cubicles, and slipped into a seat beside her. "I'm moving to England," she whispered.
"What? You're moving where? Why?"
"I saw Nathan naked, early this morning."
“What?”
”It was only for a split second, before I passed out. I didn't expect to see a man inside the closet, never mind a naked man. Got the fright of my life. Didn't really have time to enjoy it."
"I'm having trouble following this conversation," said Betty. "What was my boss doing naked inside your closet?"
"What? No, not my closet. Roz's closet. He spent the night. That's why I'm here."
"You're here because my boss spent the night at Roz's apartment?"
"No, I'm here to pick up my car keys. Nathan took my car after I fainted."
Betty held her head in her hands. This conversation threatened to make her brain explode.
"Why does Nathan have your car keys?"
"Because Roz threw his pants out of her bathroom window."
Betty held her head even tighter.
"Good morning ladies," said Nathan, breezing into the office. "Maxine, I believe these belong to you." He tossed her a set of car keys, which she deftly caught. "I left it in the car park on the west side of the building. Thanks again." As quickly as he had appeared in the office, he disappeared.
"So you're telling me that we were indeed right about those two, and that they slept together last night?" asked Betty.
"That's exactly what I'm telling you. She tried her best to deny it several times, but I pried the truth out of her. Got to go, speak to you later. Bye." Maxine headed out at a brisk pace.
Betty moved out of the cubicle in search of Nathan. She found him talking to a young girl from the mailroom. Without so much as an 'excuse me', she grabbed his arm and dragged him out into the corridor next to the emergency exit.
"Tell me all about it," she said.
"A gentleman never tells, Betty."
"True, but you're no gentleman, so spill your guts."
"The whole thing was a mistake."
"What kind of mistake?"
"We both got drunk, after you left the bar. Then, we took a cab to her place."
"And?"
"Basically, she raped me."
"Raped you?"
"Threw tea in my lap, sent me into the shower to clean up, then took advantage of me."
"I'm supposed to believe that?"
"I was too embarrassed to go to the police. There. Now you know."
"If I were to ask Roz what happened, would her story match yours?"
"That's why women shouldn't drink, Betty. She claims amnesia."
"Are you two dating or not?"
"Date a woman who violated me? Are you kidding?"
"I'm going to speak to Roz," said Betty. "Neither you, nor Maxine are particularly coherent this morning.
"She doesn't want anyone to know about it."
"Just how bad was the experience?"
"Bad? No, it was great. Best sex I've had in a long while. I had no idea how horny I could get from being taken advantage of."
"Let me get this straight," said Betty. "You had great sex?"
"Awesome sex."
"Against your will."
"Completely against my will."
"For an hour or two."
"All night long."
"But you regret it."
"Mostly when the freezer door was open."
"The freezer door?"
"Could have caught pneumonia. My backside was colder than a polar bear's balls."
Betty shook her head. It was like trying to ask a person with multiple personalities, how they decided who used the bathroom first.

"Glad you understand," said Nathan, and wandered off.

No comments:

Post a Comment