20170526

A controversial character and an unpublished 70,000 word plus book I wrote over a year ago... getting a facelift

As mentioned, I wrote this book over a year ago. There are a few timeline issues that have to be worked out before publication. Over the next couple of weeks, I will be posting a few snippets from the book which highlight several characters who populate the novel. Some of these snippets didn't make it into the novel, others made it in, but a slightly revised version from the original. This sample provides an insight to a Christian minister with an affliction that normally targets younger people. The Reverend Byron Carter is the father of Caleb Carter, the male protagonist in the novel. 


The novel (so far) is in excess of 70,000 words, and is written in UK English. It is a modern day romance set in the Scottish Highlands.

The content of my books (so far) could be classified as Contemporary Romance, but there are scenes in this book meant for mature audiences only. The humour is strong in each novel, and the characters, interesting.

The love interest is between Catriona McCaffery and Caleb Carter, wayward son of a Scottish minister. His father, the Rev Byron Carter is middle-aged and recently stricken with Coprolalia, closely related to Tourette's. When his passion for biblical scriptures is fired up, his language from the pulpit can get extremely colourful.

In no way would I challenge Christian sensibilities with ill-intentioned profanity. Rather, his condition and the fight he puts up against it render his character more human for the effort. I ask only that you read the book to its end before passing judgement.

Happy reading...


Here is an excerpt from the book when the beloved minister of a Scottish village informs his congregation of the reason behind his decision to step down as their minister.


The church was heaving with a sea of bodies. Standing room only. barely ten minutes after the church doors were opened. Whispers were making the rounds. Some said their beloved minister of thirty years was ill and possibly terminal. Others believed he had been offered a more lucrative position elsewhere. People came from afar to hear him preach, such was his passion. Of late his sermons had become… colourful. The whispers grew loud but ceased as if by magic when a groan from the third step of the pulpit announced the arrival of Byron Carter, Minister of Carnock village church.
Tall of stature, the Reverend Carter possessed the kind of aura bestowed on royalty and the very best in the acting profession. High above his congregation, the minister looked out over his flock. As he leant forward and rested his hands on the solid mahogany railing, the sun once hidden by clouds burst through the stained glass depiction of Christ on the cross and bathed him in light. His outline glowed and some were forced to shield their eyes. Not a single sound broke the silence.
“My friends,” began Reverend Carter, “I stand before you today to silence the rumors that are making the rounds.” He did not raise his voice. He had no need. “I possess no terminal illness, but I have succumbed to an unfortunate condition. A condition known as Coprolalia, a close relation to Tourette’s Syndrome.” His gaze fell upon the three elderly ladies whom he fondly referred to as ‘the faithful’ and who now stared at him with anguish in their eyes.
“Unfortunate because my calling in life has now become at odds with my ability to deliver God’s message in the manner acceptable to my superiors.” 
Restless comments reverberated through the congregation. Confusion reigned uppermost in the hubbub that ensued. Byron raised his arms and the church fell silent once again.
“My condition only comes to the fore when my passion for the Lord’s message takes over. My language becomes… unworthy for both Christ’s teachings and for you, my faithful flock. It has truly been a pleasure to serve each and every one of you, but now I must step down and let one more suited to the task, spread God’s word.”
Colin, a middle-aged miner from a neighboring village jumped to his feet.
“So you fucking swear from time to time. Who here hasn’t done the same?” Colin searched the faces to his left and right. “I don’t want another fucking minister. You’re my minister. Our minister, am I right?”
The congregation surged to their feet as one. All hell broke loose. Byron couldn’t help but notice his son, head bowed, having problems with grit in his eye. In his early twenties, Caleb Carter was a rebellious son… and Byron loved him to death.

Once again, Byron held up his hands, requesting silence, but this time it took a few minutes before order was restored. 



And here (risking the wrath of those unwilling to acknowledge Byron's unfortunate affliction) is one of his other sermons.


Chapter 23   Reverend Byron Carter


As per usual on any given Sunday, Carnock Parish Church was packed. Hundreds of eyes were turned upwards toward the pulpit where their minister was about to begin his sermon. Minister Carter's eyes flitted over the masses seated below him, and the few left standing at the back of his church.
“Today, members of the congregation, I am going to touch on a subject, or two, that might have many of you believe that I am blaspheming, but I promise you it is not so. I can’t help but feel that many of the biblical stories that are ‘set in stone’ as it were, are in fact misunderstood. I see some furrowed brows out there, but please, bear with me. Let us start with Moses leading his people around in the desert for forty years. Forty fucking years. Are you shitting me? If Moses had been Scottish and had led his people around in circles for forty fucking days, some of the boys would have taken his directionally challenged backside behind one of the few bushes found in the desert and given him a good thrashing. Look, I know Moses didn’t have a compass, but there were plenty of fucking stars glowing up there in the night sky for him to follow, surely? Forty years to find the edge of the desert? Bullshit!
I looked out over my parishioners. Fully fifty percent of the women were holding their hands up to their mouths in disbelief. Of the men, only two of the church Elders followed suit, however, not one pew was disturbed by someone leaving.
“What evidence do we have to support the story of Moses wandering around in the desert like a fart in a trance for forty years. None. Not so much as one broken fucking pot ever found.  So what is the purpose of the story? Is it just a tall tale, or a fictional story engineered to relate a moral, then after a particularly bad translation from the original language to newer languages, the real meaning of the story was perhaps lost? Did Moses ever actually exist?”
I raised my hands up in front of me, palms up, as if requesting an answer, any answer. Silence.
Noah’s Ark! Another little gem. The Bible tells us that Noah was around five hundred years old when his first son was born and around about six hundred years old when the flood made its appearance. Really? Apparently, God, who could make the world in six days was prepared to wait six hundred years to wipe humanity off the face of the Earth for forgetting about him. Death by drowning for all except Noah and his family. And the animals went in two by fucking two, yes? NO! This is my problem with blind fucking faith. First of all, we know people don't live for six hundred years. We also know that a God who can make the world in six days could bring forth a flood in about six fucking seconds to wipe out humanity. We know deep down that no matter how big this boat was, it wasn't big enough to hold two of every kind of animal. SO, was the size of the boat misquoted? Was Noah's age simply a misprint in the Bible? Was the person responsible for putting those snippets of information in the Bible just arithmetically challenged? We don’t know. How could we? I understand that the easy answer is simply God can do anything, God could have made him live for a thousand years, if he wanted to. Was he simply showing off?”
I leaned forward, resting both of my elbows on the front rail of the pulpit and surveyed the sea of faces in front of me. There seemed to be some dissent in the ranks. Murmurs were breaking out here and there. The only person who seemed to be taking all of this in stride, was my son, Caleb. This fact alone made me smile. The rather attractive addition to my congregation seated beside him, was looking around at the quiet commotion going on round about her. I saw my son glance at her, but appeared to offer no comment. I stood up to my full height.
"Members of my congregation," I roared, “how many of you think that my job is only to preach to you?" The commotion took a little time to die down as my parishioners finally gave me their full attention.
"My job, at least half of it, is to make you think, to make this an interaction, rather than one  minister's monologue. If I were merely to preach the message every week, some of you might be in danger of falling asleep. That is not going to happen. Not in my church. So how do I get you to interact emotionally and mentally? How do I get you to think rather than let my words wash over you? To connect to the subject at hand in a meaningful way? Simple. I might just decide to say something outrageously controversial to wake you up. How many of you slept through what I had to say about Moses... or Noah and his Ark? If the Lord had wanted Moses to spend forty years in the desert, then forty years it would be. If the Lord felt that Noah needed six hundred years to achieve the task he had set for him, then it would be so. Personally, I think that the Lord was giving humanity an extra six hundred years before wiping them out with a flood, to see if they would change their wicked ways? ”
I cast my eye over my flock as once again murmurs broke out all through the congregation. A few chuckles could be heard here and there. Still leaning on my elbows I decided to push the  envelope. I summoned one of the Elders and handed him a microphone. I whispered in his ear before addressing my flock again.
"Does anyone take issue with my methods? Does anyone here... anyone at all... take issue with how I brought Moses or Noah into the conversation?"
I didn't really anticipate anybody standing up, but there she was, dressed all in lavender, including the biggest hat I had ever seen. Elspeth Wilson, my Bible class teacher. The Elder walked smartly over and handed her the microphone.
"Minister Carter," she said, wasting no time, "I would be the first to admit that I was gravely offended by your treatment of Moses and Noah... at first. The methods you use to spread the gospel are unorthodox to say the least." She paused and looked around, aware that she had everyone’s full attention. "Despite this,” she said, turning her attention back to me, “ I can only speak for myself when I say that there is no other minister I would rather hear the Lord's message from, than you."
As quickly as Elspeth Wilson had stood up, she once again took her seat. All hell broke loose. She was the only one left sitting, as the entire congregation surged to their feet and gave her a standing ovation, echoing her sentiments about their minister, about me. I made eye contact with my son. He was smiling and shaking his head. The girl he brought to my church was clapping as enthusiastically as anybody. I saw her nudge Caleb in his ribs before I turned my gaze out over the multitude.
"Settle down, settle down, or we'll never get out of here," I said, tongue-in-cheek. Clapping turned to amusement before dying down as I raised then lowered my hands encouraging everybody to regain their seats.
"Let me lead you in prayer."
Church was over for today. As the members filed past me, each shaking my hand in turn, comments like "You gave me a fright there, minister" were commonplace. The last two filing out of my church were Caleb, and the young lady who accompanied him.
"Just when I thought you were losing your touch, dad," he said, a grin plastered all over his face.
"Aren't you going to introduce me to your lady friend Caleb? Always nice to see a new face you know."
"Dad, this is Catriona," he said, and turning towards her, added, "I rather think she enjoyed your sermon."
"You might just be the most unusual, but also the most entertaining minister I have ever met,” she said, her eyes sparkling, “ I see now where Caleb gets his quick wit from."
"And his good looks no doubt," I replied.
"Why minister, that goes without saying."
"Hold on to this one Caleb, even I can tell she’s special."
"You see," said Catriona, looking into Caleb's eyes, "it took your dad only thirty seconds to realize that."
"I beat him by twenty,” my son replied, “ I only saw you for ten seconds on that bus, Catriona."
Observing the banter between the two of them, plus the body language and the eye contact told me there was something special going on here. I took a closer look at the young girl and felt myself nodding as if in private consent. This young lady was special, I could feel it. Please Lord, I caught myself thinking, don’t let him mess this up.
“There is always room for one more at our dinner table, Catriona,” I said.
“Yes,” agreed Caleb, “please join us. Say you will.”
I was impressed. So used was I to women chasing after my son, calling the manse day and night asking for him, that to see his eyes pleading for a positive response was a genuine experience for me. Catriona glanced downward.
“I would love to, really I would, but my Aunt will already have prepared a meal for me, and it would be unfair of me to make other plans. Perhaps some other time, if that is okay with you, minister?”
Genuinely considerate of her Aunt’s feelings, I found myself really liking this young girl.
“Absolutely,” I replied.
“Then let me walk you home,” Caleb said, putting his arm around her waist.
“That is what a gentleman would do,” she replied, gently removing his arm, but then linking her fingers with his, showing him what was acceptable to her.
“I’ll see you back at the manse dad, in about twenty minutes, okay?”
“It’s only a couple of minutes to my Aunt’s house, even if we walk slowly,” said Catriona, “I’ll make sure he’s home in fifteen minutes or less, minister.”
“Give me the full twenty minutes Catriona, please. I’m going away for a week. That’s seven days I won’t see you.”
Catriona glanced in my direction.
“If he’s begging, young lady, give him the twenty minutes,” I said.
“Are you begging, Caleb?” she asked, teasing him without mercy.
My son narrowed his eyes, and turned his gaze on me as he answered. “Yes, I’m begging.”
“Don’t tell me,” I said, enjoying every minute of his discomfort, “tell Catriona.”
“If it would bring either or both of you some kind of inner happiness, then yes, I’m begging for an extra five minutes.”
“I shall remember this moment forever,” I said, winking at Catriona.
Catriona turned her attention to my exasperated son. “Shall we go, my prince?”
Caleb looked at me and raised his eyebrows as if to say, “Can you believe this?”
A sadness came over me as I remembered that my ex-wife Glenda had had the same power over me that Catriona seemed to have over my son, and I missed it. I watched as the two of them walked off hand in hand, chatting excitedly to each other. Caleb had needed a mother’s guidance, I knew that, but fate had decided against it. It was, I believed, the main reason that my son could never seem to find fulfillment in a steady relationship. He could not hide his distrust of women, from me at least. I often wondered if his inability to have long lasting relationships was because he secretly feared that women would leave him, just as his mother had done. Right there and then, I made up my mind to contact his mother. Sooner or later he was going to have to learn the truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment